Skip to main content

Photo Journal: A Homeschool Year in Pictures 2015

Making Meatballs with Nona


A Visit to Montecello



Beneath Monticello

Wine Cellar of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello


St. Augustine Fort

St. Augustine, Fl

On Top of the Fort at St. Augustine, Fl


St Augustine

St. Augustine, Fl


At a STEM Speaker Competition in Fl

Winner of Florida Junior Academy of Science Speaker Competition in Jr. Physics 

Winners from our club at the FJAS Speaker Competition

Out to Dinner with Friends and Fellow Competitors from the STEM Speaker Competition

Awards Ceremony FJAS

Preparing to Leave for Speaker Competition


Presenting on Physics Project at FJAS


Aiden Presenting in Environmental Science at FJAS Speaker Competition






A Visit to See Winter, the Dolphin on the West Coast of Florida






Classical Conversations Presentation


Manatees at Fort Pierce Manatee Observation Center







Heart Dissection at Classical Conversations


Morikami Japanese Gardens




Morikami Japanese Gardens





Morikami Japanese Gardens, Fl



Aiden Presiding as President of Research Coast Florida Jr Academy of Science STEM 4H Club

Aiden, Leading meeting as President of RCFJAS STEM 4H Club

RCFJAS STEM 4H Club






Nature Journaling Hike 





1st Place Regional Science Fair Physics

Winners at Regional Science Fair from our 4H Club


1st Place Environmental Science at Regional Science Fair


Sume-i Watercolor Class at Vero Beach Museum of Art




A Visit to Va to Comfort my sister who had a miscarriage

Theraputic Pottery Painting as we dealt with the grief of a miscarriage

Rachel and Aunt Joan, spending time together after Joan's miscarriage, therapy pottery painting



Celebrating After Regional Science Fair


Regional Science Fair

Aiden's Environmental Science Project on Queen Conch Conservation

St Lucie County Regional Science Fair 






Vero Beach Museum of Art Sculpture Garden


Strawberry Picking in Florida



Aiden Volunteering as Research Assistant at Smithsonian Marine Research Station

Aiden Volunteering as Research Assistant at Smithsonian Marine Research Station



Aiden Volunteering as Research Assistant at Smithsonian Marine Research Station


Rachel Enjoying Working on One of Her Favorite Subjects: Latin!


Japanese Water Color Tools

Sume-i Bamboo Watercolor

Aiden Improved his Cooking Skills this Year

Rachel's testing device for her science experiment in physics





Working on building testing device for science project


A Beautiful New Baby Cousin was born this year!



Lunch after Visiting the Navy Seal Museum in Fort Pierce, Fl



Navy Seal Museum






Christmas Parade Float for One of our Favorite Charities, Little Birthday Angels



Rachel, New President of RCFJAS STEM 4H Club, speaking at the County Commissioner's Meeting

County Commissioner's Meeeting


Classical Conversations Weekly Meeting for Erin's 4th Grade Year



Aunt Joan's New Baby, Beatrice! Healthy, but a preemie in the NICU














Visit to meet my new Niece!






























Dinosaur Land, Front Royal, Va




Reading to Aunt Joan While She in on Bed Rest before baby was born prematurely




Studying for his Honors Dual Enrollment Courses!

After his first date!






Florida Oceanographic Center









Class Picture Classical Conversations

Presentation Classical Conversations




A Pilates Client, I teach in a Studio in Vero Beach, Fl


Rachel became an Acolyte in our Church this year


Our club booth at Indian River Lagoon Science Festival








Club Skit at Science Fair Bootcamp








Classical Conversations Review Game


















Our Favorite Local Charity was awarded a grant

Aiden and I did some volunteer work on the Little Birthday Angels Website this year




We have enjoyed playing table top games this year



Erin's Birthday Party at her Favorite Place: Christi's Gym



Aiden and I at Skyline Caverns in Front Royal, Va


Skyline Caverns Front Royal, Va


One of Watercolors hangs in my friend's midwifery clinic in Va! 

Skyline Caverns,  Front Royal, Va





Time with cousins on our visit to VA


A delicious breakfast my sister made for me

Playing Ticket to Ride with Dad. Board Games on our new table were a big draw this year.







Vero Beach Museum of Art



Vero Beach Museum of Art























Exhausted from his intense school schedule

Studying for the SAT with a friend


I attended a tutor training seminar for the Writing/Grammar class I taught this year with Classical Conversations

Another favorite card game: Seven Wonders


Playing Seven Wonders card game



4H STEM club meeting, Rachel as new club President this year

Iowa testing for the girls

Mother's Day







Erin's favorite extra-curricular activity, gymnastics



The spot where I proofed kids in my class for Memory Masters


Club Meeting when Aiden was president



Playing CATAN with Dad




Visiting with Grandma on our trip to VA




Visiting with Great-Grandma on a trip to Va

Dinosaur Land with Cousins. Front Royal, Va






Good food with Nono Giovanni in W.VA



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Inspiring Excerpt from "Little Women"

"It's my dreadful temper! I try to cure it. I think I have, and then it breaks out worse than ever. O Mother, what shall I do?" cried poor Jo. "Watch and pray, dear, never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault," said Mrs. March, drawing the blowzy head to her shoulder and kissing the wet cheek so tenderly that Jo cried harder than ever. "You don't know, you can't guess how bad it is! It seems as if I could do anything when I'm in a passion. I get so savage I could hurt anyone and enjoy it. I'm afraid I shall do something dreadful some day, and spoil my life, and make everybody hate me. O Mother, help me, do help me!" "I will, my child, I will. Don't cry so bitterly, but remember this day, and resolve with all your soul that you will never know another like it. Jo dear, we all have our temptations, some far greater than yours, and it often takes us all our lives to conquer them. You th

An Autumn Story (How to Help Our Students Love their Education)

    She’s 14. Disturbingly beautiful. Breathtakingly uncooperative. She laments a lack of fall weather in Florida, so I schedule a short trip to see family in northern Virginia during “peak leaf week.” Our usual homeschool days start with caffeine and math, one of the two subjects into which I invest an hour beside her each day. Then, we work separately for a few hours and converge again for history and debate, during which I guide her through annotating American Documents and researching debate issues.       We stride through the Orlando airport, our conservatively-packed personal items slung over shoulders. We’re not rushed. We follow signs calmly with our covid masks in place. I often feel that I annoy my daughter, but she’s not annoyed now. She sees me navigate easily through the airport. We find our gate an hour before departure, so we have time to grab a coffee and a donut. We visit the gift shop to buy keepsakes for her cousins.    I chose her academic curriculum this year, and

(From the Archives) Classical Conversations Overview and How I Lead my Foundations Class

As mothers, we brood over our young like hens brood over their nests. We try to  provide a nurturing environment to foster t he perfect balance of self-discipline and creative- thinking in our children and ourselves.  We're not alone in these trenches. We turn inward in faith and find the love and support we  need to carry the precious burdens of motherhood with grace. Today, I've invited my Classical Conversations Director over for lunch. She is a kind, intelligent woman,  who has already graduated two children and is still homeschooling her 9-year-old son.  Classical Conversations is a national homeschool group that models the Classical method in local communities.  We meet once a week. The weekly classes look like this: 30 min: The  tutor introduces new memory work to a class no larger than 8 children of a certain grade level.  New memory work includes: -A history sentence in song form (e.g. In 1898, Theodore Roosevelt and his Rough Riders defeated the Spanish at  the B