Skip to main content

An Autumn Story (How to Help Our Students Love their Education)

    She’s 14. Disturbingly beautiful. Breathtakingly uncooperative. She laments a lack of fall weather in Florida, so I schedule a short trip to see family in northern Virginia during “peak leaf week.” Our usual homeschool days start with caffeine and math, one of the two subjects into which I invest an hour beside her each day. Then, we work separately for a few hours and converge again for history and debate, during which I guide her through annotating American Documents and researching debate issues. 

    We stride through the Orlando airport, our conservatively-packed personal items slung over shoulders. We’re not rushed. We follow signs calmly with our covid masks in place. I often feel that I annoy my daughter, but she’s not annoyed now. She sees me navigate easily through the airport. We find our gate an hour before departure, so we have time to grab a coffee and a donut. We visit the gift shop to buy keepsakes for her cousins. 

 I chose her academic curriculum this year, and I help her to navigate it. She doesn’t appreciate it. She does appreciate this trip, though. The curriculum I chose comes with a community day shared with seven of her peers and a tutor. They discuss classical readings on literature, science, history, Latin, and logic and prepare for an end-of-year debate. It’s an award-winning curriculum, but she doesn’t like it. Her tutor told me last week that she’s not prepared for discussions. I know she is prepared because I check her work, so I ask him why he thinks she is unprepared. 
 

“She doesn’t participate in the discussion.”  
 

I feel embarrassed. 
    
Later, I ask her why, and her answer is vague. I decide not to be angry, but to troubleshoot. She says she doesn’t like the topics or the way they are presented. She feels that other students have more to offer in the discussion, and she doesn’t want to compete. I coach her, but I decide that I will make a change in her curriculum after some research. 
    

We usually eat healthy food, but today we are eating donuts as we wait at our departure gate. In past years, I wouldn’t have given my children processed sugar on a trip like this. I would have gotten them fruit, yogurt or granola with honey. These days, I balance the shrewdness of a daily carrot with the grace of a special-occasion donut.

 
             
    We arrive in Baltimore, and my mom shuttles us to her home in West Virginia. Though our trip is only a few days long, we spend quality time with many treasured family members and friends. Highlights are a night corn maze, a pumpkin patch, cousin sleep-overs, meals with grandma and aunts, a drive-through autumnal scenery, historic Harpers Ferry exploration, and a new silver and onyx necklace. My daughter sleeps well, eats well and laughs heartily. 
    On the way home, she thanks me. Her words sound unfamiliar. I try to understand why she is so thankful. I think of my interactions over the weekend. My mom and I chatted pleasantly. I helped to organize my daughter's time with her cousins so that she had some quality alone time with the two closest to her age and some group time with several at once. We explored the outdoors. I didn’t complain, express anxiety or argue. I simply enjoyed the place and the people. In short, I modeled how to enjoy people and places. What would happen if I applied these ideas to our homeschool? What would happen if I simply modeled how to enjoy the ideas, people, and places involved in her studies?    


Comments

Diwakar said…
Hello Jennifer. I am a Pastor from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile n the blogger and teh blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in life of faith. It was educative to go through your blog post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one anothe. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 41yrs in this great city of Mumbai a cit with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with teh love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and teh adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young children in their late teens and above to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life chnanging experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon.God'srichest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2020. My email id is: dhankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

Popular posts from this blog

An Inspiring Excerpt from "Little Women"

"It's my dreadful temper! I try to cure it. I think I have, and then it breaks out worse than ever. O Mother, what shall I do?" cried poor Jo. "Watch and pray, dear, never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault," said Mrs. March, drawing the blowzy head to her shoulder and kissing the wet cheek so tenderly that Jo cried harder than ever. "You don't know, you can't guess how bad it is! It seems as if I could do anything when I'm in a passion. I get so savage I could hurt anyone and enjoy it. I'm afraid I shall do something dreadful some day, and spoil my life, and make everybody hate me. O Mother, help me, do help me!" "I will, my child, I will. Don't cry so bitterly, but remember this day, and resolve with all your soul that you will never know another like it. Jo dear, we all have our temptations, some far greater than yours, and it often takes us all our lives to conquer them. You th

(From the Archives) Classical Conversations Overview and How I Lead my Foundations Class

As mothers, we brood over our young like hens brood over their nests. We try to  provide a nurturing environment to foster t he perfect balance of self-discipline and creative- thinking in our children and ourselves.  We're not alone in these trenches. We turn inward in faith and find the love and support we  need to carry the precious burdens of motherhood with grace. Today, I've invited my Classical Conversations Director over for lunch. She is a kind, intelligent woman,  who has already graduated two children and is still homeschooling her 9-year-old son.  Classical Conversations is a national homeschool group that models the Classical method in local communities.  We meet once a week. The weekly classes look like this: 30 min: The  tutor introduces new memory work to a class no larger than 8 children of a certain grade level.  New memory work includes: -A history sentence in song form (e.g. In 1898, Theodore Roosevelt and his Rough Riders defeated the Spanish at  the B