Skip to main content

My 13-Year-Old's New Challenge!

He'll be 13 in a couple of weeks -- my 3lb. 9oz. preemie -- a teenager! He's always been quick to run, jump, climb and throw a ball; quick to comply, quick to smile, quick to laugh, quick to take on a challenge of any sort and master it.

"Here it is, son," I told him this summer with a big grin. "Your next big Challenge!

I gushed on and on about all he would be doing this year, and to my great surprise, his eyes lit up, and the questions came pouring out!

Why was I surprised that he was excited too? How did I forget that my children's hearts reflect my own in so many ways?

I'm excited about the Challenge Program because it offers what the culmination of all of my years of homeschooling has led me to pursue: "A Well-Trained Mind" not just for my children, but for me!

I don't see it as a whole new direction because I've been plotting our course this way all along. I just see it as a "leg-up," a hand on my shoulder, a like-minded friend walking beside me. 

I'm surprised at the impact it makes on my kids to have someone new on the homeschool scene. When that new person affirms what I've been sharing with them, their eyes light up, and they look at me with such pride and thankfulness. 

I will continue to home-school, but my son and I will attend a meeting once a week with peers and a tutor. Here he will be able to more fully flesh-out his understandings of debate and the Socratic method. He will participate in a mock-trial, demonstrate his mathematical knowledge in front of the group, read aloud what he's written, receive group feedback, and much more!

Best of all, he won't feel so isolated while he's doing his work. So often, when I give an assignment, his luster is lost because "It's just something else mom is wanting me to do."

One of the goals of this Challenge year is to encourage the children to take more initiative and become more independent in their study skills. Both goals that my son, who will be turning 13 in two weeks, is ready and willing to take on.

Hopefully, this year, he will feel more like I'm here to support him rather than direct him as he is keeping in step with this Challenge he's undertaken.

Here's to an exciting new school year, and wherever you find yourself along your educational path, may you find truth, understanding, and wisdom; and may you embrace the joy of your journey!

Love,

Jennifer Dowell

Comments

The Eyre family said…
I love this! Homeschooling is cool because there are always options for every season....Blessings to you this year, sweet friend. I just love you. :D (And I can't BELIEVE he was ever 3 lbs 9 oz....)

Popular posts from this blog

An Inspiring Excerpt from "Little Women"

"It's my dreadful temper! I try to cure it. I think I have, and then it breaks out worse than ever. O Mother, what shall I do?" cried poor Jo. "Watch and pray, dear, never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault," said Mrs. March, drawing the blowzy head to her shoulder and kissing the wet cheek so tenderly that Jo cried harder than ever. "You don't know, you can't guess how bad it is! It seems as if I could do anything when I'm in a passion. I get so savage I could hurt anyone and enjoy it. I'm afraid I shall do something dreadful some day, and spoil my life, and make everybody hate me. O Mother, help me, do help me!" "I will, my child, I will. Don't cry so bitterly, but remember this day, and resolve with all your soul that you will never know another like it. Jo dear, we all have our temptations, some far greater than yours, and it often takes us all our lives to conquer them. You th

An Autumn Story (How to Help Our Students Love their Education)

    She’s 14. Disturbingly beautiful. Breathtakingly uncooperative. She laments a lack of fall weather in Florida, so I schedule a short trip to see family in northern Virginia during “peak leaf week.” Our usual homeschool days start with caffeine and math, one of the two subjects into which I invest an hour beside her each day. Then, we work separately for a few hours and converge again for history and debate, during which I guide her through annotating American Documents and researching debate issues.       We stride through the Orlando airport, our conservatively-packed personal items slung over shoulders. We’re not rushed. We follow signs calmly with our covid masks in place. I often feel that I annoy my daughter, but she’s not annoyed now. She sees me navigate easily through the airport. We find our gate an hour before departure, so we have time to grab a coffee and a donut. We visit the gift shop to buy keepsakes for her cousins.    I chose her academic curriculum this year, and

(From the Archives) Classical Conversations Overview and How I Lead my Foundations Class

As mothers, we brood over our young like hens brood over their nests. We try to  provide a nurturing environment to foster t he perfect balance of self-discipline and creative- thinking in our children and ourselves.  We're not alone in these trenches. We turn inward in faith and find the love and support we  need to carry the precious burdens of motherhood with grace. Today, I've invited my Classical Conversations Director over for lunch. She is a kind, intelligent woman,  who has already graduated two children and is still homeschooling her 9-year-old son.  Classical Conversations is a national homeschool group that models the Classical method in local communities.  We meet once a week. The weekly classes look like this: 30 min: The  tutor introduces new memory work to a class no larger than 8 children of a certain grade level.  New memory work includes: -A history sentence in song form (e.g. In 1898, Theodore Roosevelt and his Rough Riders defeated the Spanish at  the B